Thursday, May 26, 2011

Life in Medellin

The beginning:
A quick flight from Ft. Lauderdale had me in the mountains of Medellin, Colombia in a matter of hours. For some reason I didn't find the mountains so striking the last time I was here. Perhaps it was because I wasn't skimming over them in a plane or having to walk five full city blocks up the hillside to get to the bus stop. I would imagine San Francisco to be like this but with drivers that actually follow some semblance of etiquette not to mention, the law!
So I have four housemates: Gloria, the landlady, chef, maid, laundry person, etc, her two daughters, Elizabeth and Susanna, that have recently graduated as doctors and are moving on to studying a specialty, and Christof, from Austria here to study Spanish. I really couldn't have asked for a better group, and the pad is pretty sweet too. I have my own room that is plenty big enough, a view that is perfect for me, and access to the pool, sauna and steam-room.
Dinner was yummy and the company was great. It helped me relax a little. As a wise woman once said, "The transition is the hardest part." I couldn't agree more. It's hard to be plucked from your comfortable life of friends, family and gardening and placed down into a stranger's house. Thankfully Colombians are ultra-friendly and are helping to make the transition smooth. Today was a bit of a roller coaster emotionally but once I get my Spanish back and get a routine down, things will be A-OK!
Tomorrow I get the "induction" into to University CES, have the weekend to look around and Monday starts off with a bang. Right now, I'm off to bed because Life in Medellin has only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment